Gerardo Martino to coach Atlanta in Major League Soccer

Gerardo Martino
Gerardo Martino

Rio de Janeiro: Former Argentine national team coach Gerardo Martino will be at the helm of Atlanta United in their inaugural Major League Soccer (MLS) season next year, the club has announced.

Martino, who has also coached Barcelona and Paraguay’s national team, has not worked since quitting as Argentina manager in July, reported Xinhua.

“We’re excited to have a world class coach leading our club,” Atlanta president Darren Eales said in a video posted on Twitter.

“He has cultivated excellence everywhere he has been. Now it’s time for a new era,” Eales added.

Atlanta will join Minnesota United as the latest franchises in the 22-team MLS next year.

Powered by WPeMatico

FC Goa trains ahead of ISL 3 tournament

Panaji: FC Goa squad’s which returned from Rio de Janeiro after a pre-season outing there, today held their first training session in Nagoa in South Goa for the upcoming Indian Super League football championship.

The players were put through light training exercises by the various coaches and played a practice game in the absence of head coach, Zico who will join the squad shortly.

FC Goa will play two more friendly games in Goa against Pune-based DSK Shivajians on September 29 at a training facility.

On September 30, another pre-season friendly match has been scheduled against the U-19 Indian national squad in preparation for the competitive season.

FC Goa will kick off their campaign against North East United FC at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati on October 4.

Powered by WPeMatico

Justin Theroux reacts to Jennifer Aniston being dragged in Brangelina's divorce

Justin Theroux with wife Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie with ex-husband Brad Pitt
Justin Theroux with wife Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie with ex-husband Brad Pitt

Los Angeles: Jennifer Aniston’s husband Justin Theroux has slammed the attention diverted on the actress since the separation of her ex Brad Pitt from his wife Angelina Jolie.

Since last week when Jolie announced her break up from Pitt, who she began dating after he ended his marriage to Aniston, the media and fans have gone berserk guessing and reporting gossip about the “Friends” star’s supposed reaction to the news.

From jokes to memes, Aniston has been the second most important part of the Pitt-Jolie break up after the shocking news itself.

Theroux slammed what he called “nonsense” attempts to drag Aniston into the divorce news.

“There’s an endless appetite for trash, apparently, though everyone would say that they don’t have that appetite.

But I think a lot of people do because people buy it. But there are bigger things to bitch about. It’s shocking how much bandwidth things can take up when there are far more important things going on in the world,” the actor-filmmaker said.

When asked about his reaction on the divorce, which shook Hollywood, Theroux said he feels sad for the couple’s six children because he himself has seen his parents part ways and hence can imagine their plight.

“As a child of divorce, all I can say is that’s terrible news for those children and that’s all you can really say,” the 45-year-old actor said during a press tour for his new film “The Girl on the Train”.

“It’s boring to sort of comment on anything else,” Theroux added. “People are having a bad time. That’s horrible.”

Aniston, was married to Pitt for five years before their divorce in 2005. Pitt, 52, and Jolie, 41 ¿ who married in 2014 after 10 years of dating ¿ have six children together: Maddox, Pax, Zahara, Shiloh, and twins Knox and Vivienne.

Powered by WPeMatico

OMG! This actress has shared a photo of her naked b**t

 

BUTT really, don’t miss a spot @kipzachary 📸: @davinaadjani #secretshoot #embraceyourcurves

A photo posted by ARIEL WINTER (@arielwinter) onSep 22, 2016 at 1:46pm PDT


Los Angeles: Actress Ariel Winter has had her bottom contoured.

The “Modern Family” star has shared a picture of a make-up artist working on contouring her bare bottom for a photoshoot, reports femalefirst.co.uk.

“BUTT really, don’t miss a spot. Secret shoot, embrace your curves,” Winter captioned the image on Instagram.

The 18-year-old has regularly been criticised for posting bold images on the photo-sharing website and has earlier said that she doesn’t understand why people make such a big deal about it.

“I don’t really think I’m telling myself, ‘You should post this, you shouldn’t post that,’ I feel like I’m just having fun. I like my fans to see what I’m doing. Everybody is so hyped up on the fact that I post photos where my butt’s out. It’s a butt. Everyone has a butt. I don’t think it’s crazy,” Winter said.

“It’s like, ‘Let me live! I’m enjoying my life, you’re enjoying your life, you should be posting your butt if you like it, too!’ I’m not going to fight with someone on my Instagram that tells me they don’t like my outfit or I should put my butt away. I’m sorry you think I should put my butt away, but just unfollow me,” she added.

Powered by WPeMatico

'Modern Family' casts transgender child actor Jackson Millarker

Los Angeles: Television series “Modern Family” has cast transgender child actor Jackson Millarker in an upcoming episode.

Millarker, 8, is set to appear this week on the show as a friend of Lily’s called Tom, reported Deadline.

Lily is the daughter of same-sex couple Cam (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson). The episode will focus on the theme of acceptance.

“Cam and Mitchell have always felt they were the most open, non-judgmental and supportive parents. However, when they overhear Lily insulting her new friend, they have to take
a quick look in the mirror before they teach her a lesson about acceptance,” the synopsis read.

The episode will be called “A Stereotypical Day.” The director also posted a picture of Millarker on set.

“Modern Family” is not the first major show to feature transgender actors, with “Orange Is the New Black” and “Nashville” both proving groundbreaking.

Powered by WPeMatico

Benedict Cumberbatch confirms Dr Strange role in 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Benedict Cumberbatch
Benedict Cumberbatch

Los Angeles: Actor Benedict Cumberbatch has confirmed that he will play the role of an arrogant surgeon, Doctor Strange, in “Avengers: Infinity War”.

The 40-year-old, who is gearing up for the sci-fi fantasy “Doctor Strange” releasing this November, revealed that the character will also appear in the upcoming “Avengers” film.

While discussing his role, Cumberbatch said, “To get us all together will be quite something. That’s why this character is being introduced, to open up the next chapter. So watch this space to see how that unfolds.”

Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, the film will hit the UK theatres in April 2018.

Powered by WPeMatico

CL: Fernandinho warns Manchester City ahead of clash against Celtic

Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho (extreme left) with his teammates Nicolas Otamendi (second from left), Pablo Zabaleta (centre) and Sergio Aguero during a training session at City Academy in Manchester yesterday. Pic/Getty Images
Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho (extreme left) with his teammates Nicolas Otamendi (second from left), Pablo Zabaleta (centre) and Sergio Aguero during a training session at City Academy in Manchester yesterday. Pic/Getty Images

Manchester: Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho has warned his Manchester City side to beware a Celtic backlash ahead of their UEFA Champions League clash in Glasgow on Wednesday.

City head north on the back of 10 straight wins under Pep Guardiola and rated strong favourites to heap more continental woe on Brendan Rodgers’ men after their 7-0 mauling by Barcelona earlier this month.

Avoiding embarrassment
But according to Fernandinho, City — who by contrast started their campaign with a 4-0 breeze against Borussia Monchengladbach — must tread carefully to avoid embarrassment of their own.

He said: “Of course they (Celtic) had a painful defeat for themselves and their fans, but maybe that’s one of the reasons they will step on the pitch with a lot more concentration, motivated to win this game.

“So we will have to be very careful and stay very focused to not allow that to happen.”

City and Barcelona have inevitably been installed as strong favourites to progress from Group C but Fernandinho believes the outcome of the four-team league is far from certain.

He added: “I think sometimes people say that City and Barcelona are the favourites, but I don’t agree because Borussia are an excellent team and Celtic are an excellent team as well, especially when they play at home.

No scope for mistakes
“The Champions League is always special, you always have to be careful, you always have to think that you cannot make mistakes — there’s no relaxing, otherwise you’ll pay for it.

“That’s our intention this year, to play 100 per cent concentrated, the way we have been playing, and try to win these games which are really important to us.”

Powered by WPeMatico

Champions League: Leicester City's Islam Slimani goal 'slays' Porto

Leicester City striker Islam Slimani
Leicester City’s striker Islam Slimani (C) jumps to head the ball during the UEFA Champions League group G football match between Leicester City and Porto at the King Power Stadium in Leicester, central England. / AFP PHOTO 

Leicester City striker Islam Slimani, who has been bestowed upon with the nickname, ‘The Dragon Slayer’ for his continuous scoring feats against Porto secured the win for his team thanks to a 25-minute header to make it two wins from two in Group G. This is Leicester’s first ever Champions League home game.

Slimani and Porto with former club Sporting Lisbon have now scored seven goals in seven career appearances against The Dragons. Eight years ago on the previous day, Leicester had beaten Hartlepool United 1-0 in an unremarkable English third-tier game at the King Power Stadium.

Having won 3-0 at Club Brugge in their opening group fixture, Leicester City fans will already be dreaming of a place in the last 16.

Powered by WPeMatico

Champions League: Andre Schuerrle's late strike leads to 2-2 draw against Real Madrid

Dortmund's midfielder Andre Schuerrle celebrates during the UEFA Champions League first leg football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid at BVB stadium in Dortmund. / AFP PHOTO
Dortmund’s midfielder Andre Schuerrle celebrates during the UEFA Champions League first leg football match between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid at BVB stadium in Dortmund. / AFP PHOTO 

Real Madrid were denied a rare Champions League win in Germany, courtesy of Borussia Dortmund’s Andre Schuerrle and his 87th-minute equaliser.

Defending champions Real Madrid have so far only won four times in 30 away games against German clubs. They were minutes from a first win in Dortmund in six attempts.

Madrid took the lead when Cristiano Ronaldo netted his 95th Champions League goal early on. Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was credited with the equaliser just before the break after a deflection off Raphael Varane. But the French international enjoyed second-half redemption when he stabbed home on 68 minutes before Dortmund levelled in the dying stages.

Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel introduced Schuerrle for Germany’s World Cup-winner Mario Goetze on 58 minutes in what proved to be an inspired switch.

Real took the lead a second time when Varane followed in to score after a Benzema attempt had struck the post and the bar. But Dortmund were not done, and when Aubameyang’s attempt at an overhead kick distracted Danilo, the ball brushed off his chest and into Schuerrle’s path as the Germany winger fired home the equaliser.

Powered by WPeMatico

Sam Allardyce leaves England manager post after one match in charge

Sam Allardyce as he takes part in a press conference at St George's Park
Sam Allardyce as he takes part in a press conference at St George’s Park. Pic/ AFP

London: Sam Allardyce has left his post as England manager by mutual agreement with the Football Association after one match and 67 days in charge.

It follows a newspaper investigation claiming he offered advice on how to “get around” rules on player transfers, the BBC reported.

Allardyce, 61, is also alleged to have used his role to negotiate a deal worth £400,000 to represent a Far East firm.

An FA statement said Allardyce’s conduct “was inappropriate” and Gareth Southgate will take temporary charge.

“He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised,” the FA said.

“This is not a decision that was taken lightly but the FA’s priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football.”

“The manager of the England men’s senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times.”

Allardyce succeeded Roy Hodgson in July following England’s disastrous performance at Euro 2016 in France and becomes the national side’s shortest-serving full-time manager, the BBC added.

The Daily Telegraph had said Allardyce had a meeting with undercover reporters posing as businessmen before he took charge of his first England training session.

During the meeting, which was recorded on camera, it is alleged Allardyce said it was “not a problem” to bypass rules on third-party player ownership and claimed he knew of agents who were “doing it all the time”.

It was further alleged that a £400,000 deal was struck for him to represent the company to Far East investors and to be a keynote speaker at events.

In the meeting, Allardyce also referred to Hodgson as “Woy”, making fun of his predecessor’s manner of speaking, and criticised Gary Neville, one of Hodgson’s assistants.

Allardyce met FA chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn on Tuesday to offer what he called a “sincere and wholehearted apology for my actions”.

Clarke told the BBC he had not been sacked, but they had agreed his position was “untenable”.

Powered by WPeMatico